Tuesday, October 08, 2013

App Review: Stitcher vs Player.fm for podcast playing

So from time to time I attempt to review apps that I use or am deciding between. Way back I use to do reviews and post for PalmAddict when I was using my old Treo600/650... regardless occasionally I like to share what I'm using on my phone. The latest internal debate I've been having is over podcast players (yes I'm again listening to podcasts, occasionally I run out of audiobooks to listen to and have to wait for one on hold to become available). There are a number of players out there, but I have 3 main needs: 1. android app, 2. web-based player and 3. syncing across devices and web. The two players I've discovered:

So both have my basic 3 needs... so what does one add over the other.... not much.

So what I've come to notice is that Stitcher does a much better job at synchronizing between devices, but the queue functionality of Player.fm is much more to my liking. Interesting enough, one of the features I liked best about Player.fm was its offline listening, but today (10/8) Stitcher released an update to its app providing the same functionality. So ultimately it comes down to UX... for the moment Player.fm is winning in terms of the mobile app. I find the interface easy to use (not that Stitcher is not) and clean. This said, from the webapp perspective I have to side with Stitcher. Player.fm's web interface to me just doesn't work, thankfully 90% of my podcast interaction is mobile, so for now I'll be using Player.fm. I'm hoping that their webapp gets some needed love in the near future.

No comments: